Do you know the benefits of lavender oil for skin?
Do you know the benefits of lavender oil for skin?
In the vast skincare industry, products made with natural ingredients are trending and the results are magical. One such ingredient is lavender essential oil. This wonder ingredient is an all-rounder. People know that it works for your shattered nerves and sleep deprivation. But do you know lavender oil uses for skin are multifaceted? It is a quick fix for your face, whether it's too oily or too dry. It tackles breakouts, wrinkles, dark spots, hyperpigmentation, and severe skin conditions like rosacea, eczema, psoriasis, etc. This essential oil has a masters in achieving healthy & glowing skin.
Before knowing about lavender essential oil, know what is lavender?
A beautiful purplish blooming flower that originates from the mint family. Its distinct, sweet & floral smell has healing effects. Its long history is evidence of its popularity & extensive utilization in the beauty & medical industry. The therapeutic benefits of lavender make it everybody's favorite.
Understand what is lavender essential oil?
Lavender essential oil is extracted from the legendary lavender flower through distillation. It is known to be used for more than 2500 years across the globe. The eternal & evergreen lavender plant flourishes in dry, rocky terrain with an inclination for the oceanic climate.
There are multiple uses of lavender essential oil in cosmetic, aromatic & medicinal treatment. The soothing, pacifying & calming qualities of lavender makes it a unique, essential oil. It is excellent for all skin types and particularly phenomenal for sensitive skin. Lavender is referred to as "Paradise on Earth". The best and most high-quality Himalayan lavender comes from the heavenly Kashmir.
The way to make lavender essential oil
Needless to say, the fan following of lavender oil amongst all other essential oils. There are uncountable benefits of lavender oil for skin, hair, and body. But do you know how this alluring & aromatic oil is made? How are those pretty blossoming flowers modified into an oil that you all love for daily use?
- The harvested lavender from the fields is used to make lavender essential oil. These eye-pleasing flowers come as a bunch together & keep at rest for several weeks to let them dry. This is to hold back the preciousness of oil from getting foul. The buds are quickly taken off from the stems when they are dry.
- When the flowers are dried enough, they are taken for steam distillation. This process is undertaken to get the maximum benefits out of lavender. They aren't tarnished by acetone or hexane, which are mostly used in solvent extraction methods.
- At the time of distillation, the buds of lavender flowers are placed above the boiling water as the boiling water mildly steams the lavender. The high pressure and extreme heat push out the oil from the flowers. The steam handles the mixture of the steam & oil to a condenser; here, it is also cooled down & changed back into a liquid. The steam turns into hydrosol & peerless drops of lavender oil are separated naturally.
An appropriate way of using lavender essential oil for skin
Essential oils are harsh on the skin. It is necessary to blend them with the nourishment of carrier oil. According to the concern, lavender oil should be used with coconut, rosehip, argan or jojoba oil, among others.
People have different purposes for using lavender oil; it is essential first to mix it with carrier oil and wash your hands before applying the mixture of oils to the skin.
One of the most common ways lavender oil is used for aromatherapy. Inhaling the vapors of this oil calms & reduces stress & anxiety. It is said that inhaling vapors of this essential oil twice a week for 20-25 minutes promotes quality sleep.
Lavender oil can also be used as a steam facial for acne treatment. However, don't expose your face near the scorching steam.
Lavender oil can also be ingested in a pill that helps to treat issues like depression. However, before taking it, you should consult your doctor.
Lavender essential oil benefits for skin
Lavender essential oil is the most versatile essential oil. Its small molecular structure helps to perforate deeply into the skin to supply most of its benefits, which are:
Kicks off acne & oily skin
Using lavender oil for face may sound counterintuitive. This oil can be a savior for your acne & oily-prone skin. It helps in clearing up acne, blemishes & prevents future flare-ups.
Some people have problematic skin but mistakenly or due to lack of knowledge, try to temporarily escape from the problem & use harsh stripping products. The skin becomes extremely dry & produces even more oil, leading to blocked pores. Together with propionibacterium acnes, this builds up a situation for breakouts.
The lavender essential oil works for acne & oily skin by regulating the oil production of the skin, further leading to a well-balanced moisture barrier so that the skin stays fully moisturized & doesn't dry out.
The antibacterial properties also help to kill bacteria that go into your pores and its anti-inflammatory property helps in soothing inflammation, just like other anti-acne products. A study found that a concentration of 0.25% of lavender oil kills off the acne p.bacteria in about 5 minutes. This oil is non-comedogenic. It won't clog pores, making it a perfect ingredient for acne & oily skin.
Studies also mention that sometimes people break out because of bearing so much stress. It is also believed that acne increases due to the excess formation of sebum that is produced in times of stress. Lavender essential oil plays a significant role as a great stress buster and acne reliever. It will perform both of its functions at the same time.
Ways to use:
- You can dilute coconut oil or another carrier oil & apply it to your skin after cleansing your face.
- You can also use this oil as a toner by mixing 2 drops of lavender oil with 1 tablespoon of witch hazel. Take a cotton ball in the mixture & then slowly rub it over your face.
- For those stubborn pimples that stay on the face for a long time, argan oil helps to reduce inflammation. Mix a drop of lavender oil with a drop of lavender oil & put it on your face directly twice a day.
Tranquilizes dry skin & eczema
Are you suffering from dry, chapped or itchy skin caused by eczema? Add the soothing lavender essential oil to your skincare vanity. Lavender oil for skin rash gives you much-needed relief. It also subdues the pain & itchiness from a pesky mosquito or insect bite.
This oil does a phenomenal job of regulating & balancing the skin's moisture barrier and settles too-dry skin into well-moisturized skin. The skin requires oil to stay to keep the skin moisturized, healthy, soft & smooth.
Loaded with anti-inflammatory benefits, this herb oil calms the redness & slows down the signs of aging.
Way to use:
- Use this essential oil for eczema. Mix 2 drops in an equal amount of tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Use it daily.
Keep all spots & scars at bay
The safeguarding, anti-inflammatory properties of this loveable oil is exceptional. It treats acne scars & age spots so well. It is a perfectionist that calms & soothes the skin. The additional benefit is that it lightens & brightens the skin. The potent antioxidant powers of lavender oil focus on repairing damaged skin from scars & hyperpigmentation.
Don't consider cuts & wounds as acne scars. They both are different from each other. Acne scars are caused due to inflammation that runs into the skin; the post-anti-inflammatory hyperpigmentation leaves angry red or dark spots on the face. Here lavender oil does a stellar job by treating the scars that suppress inflammation & speed up the skin's regenerative process being a helping hand to rebuild collagen & elastin.
This herb mostly comes into the broader picture because of its calming & healing benefits. They aid in minimizing & lightening the visible dark age spots, sun spots & other pigmentation marks when used regularly without a miss over a while.
If you are looking for essential oil for a healthy glow on your face, lavender oil plays a significant role with the help of anti-inflammatory & antioxidant properties.
Way to use:
Mix lavender oil with frankincense essential oil in equal amounts & apply it just before you go to sleep.
Not bombarded with early signs of aging
This dose of anti-aging has antioxidant properties that boost the skin and uplifts collagen production. The anti-aging benefits of lavender oil are that it tight & taut the skin and gradually smoothes wrinkles & fine lines.
Over exposure with free radicals like the sun, pollution, lack of sleep, stress & illness. Due to the oxidation process, free radicals damage the skin cells & ultimately results in the breakdown of collagen & elastin. This results in wrinkles, fine lines, premature sagging, dehydration & loss of youthful charm.
The presence of antioxidants in lavender oil fights off those free radicals that lead to oxidative damage & so repairs and protects the skin.
Way to use:
A few drops of lavender oil with the coconut oil will give you desired results.
High-grade ingredient for redness, psoriasis and rosacea
The lavender oil uses for skin is beaucoup. It is the number one essential oil that does an exceptional job of healing skin conditions, burns & cuts. The anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antimicrobial & detoxifying benefits of lavender essential oil make it a powerful ingredient to calm redness, soothe the skin & quickly heal minor cuts & scrapes. People also use lavender oil for skin rash.
The anti-inflammatory & calming perks of lavender essential oil invigorate to work best on skin affected by psoriasis & rosacea. This botanical oil lowers the stress that triggers psoriasis outbreaks & amplifies the growth of new skin in affected areas. Various skin experts suggest using lavender hand cream or body lotion to keep skin calm & healthy.
This herb oil has been used for many years to clean wounds and treat burns & other skin injuries. The oil's antiseptic properties speed up the healing process, thereby preventing & fighting further infection.
Ways to use:
- Combine lavender essential oil with aloe vera gel. They together are a perfect & hit combination that soothes the most severe sunburns & rapidly heals minor wounds by repairing damaged skin & tissue with less scarring.
- Mix 1 to 3 drops of lavender essential oil with 1 to 2 teaspoons of moringa or coconut oil. You can use this mixture 3 times a day to treat inflammation on a burn.
- If you suffer from sunburn, lavender oil spray will be a solution. Combine a quarter cup of aloe juice with 2 teaspoons of distilled water, 10 to 12 drops of lavender oil & jojoba oil in a spray bottle. Shake the bottle whenever you spray onto your sunburn. Use this spray at least 2 to 3 times a day until the sunburn heals.
Pushes away the anxiety & fatigue
Life throws tantrums, everybody has their struggle, and if you get stressed from all such things, there is nothing therapeutic for you other than lavender oil. Its aroma gives you the relaxation that effectively manages anxiety & depression.
A dose to keep bugs away
Lavender essential oil is a great insect repellant. It keeps mosquitos and ticks away from you. This natural ingredient is better than any other chemical-based products. It works as a bug deterrent and gives you relief from the irritation after bug bites.
Natural remedies with lavender essential oil for skin
Lavender oil face pack for the eye area
- 3-5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 tablespoon organic yogurt
How to use lavender oil for the eye area?
- Mix the ingredients well.
- Apply the pack to the face.
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes & wash it off with lukewarm water.
Lavender oil as a bath bomb
- 2 tablespoons lavender essential oil
- 2 tablespoons oatmeal
How to use lavender oil in bath time?
- In a muslin bag, combine the two ingredients.
- Put the bag in the bathtub.
- It will dissolve in the bathtub immediately.
- Take a bath as usual.
Lavender oil for wrinkles
- 1 white egg
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
How to use lavender oil for face wrinkles?
- Mix both the ingredients & apply it on the face like a face mask.
- Let it dry for 15-25 minutes & wash it with lukewarm water.
Lavender oil for acne treatment
- 30ml of any natural moisturizer or lotion
- 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil
How to use lavender oil for face acne?
- Mix the ingredients well & apply them to the affected area using a cotton ball.
- Repeat it for a few days for clean & clear skin.
Lavender lip balm for dry lips
- Shea butter
- Lavender oil
- Coconut oil
- Peppermint oil
How to use lavender oil for lips?
- Heat the beeswax, shea butter & coconut oil over a medium flame.
- After melting the ingredients, mix them well and add a few drops of lavender oil & peppermint oil.
- Pour the mix into a lip balm tube or container & let it harden.
- This homemade lip balm will heal chapped lips & also protect them from the sunlight.
Precautions to follow while using lavender oil
Even though lavender oil seems to be a cure for all the ills, a few precautions are needed to be followed:
- A patch test is always recommended. This will ensure whether you're allergic to it or safe to use.
- Pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, small children & elderly people are not recommended to use lavender oil. People undergoing surgery are also not recommended to use this oil.
- Don't overuse the oil, as an excess of everything is bad. It can cause skin sensitivity.
- A pool of lavender oil in the market portrays them as pure & natural and may not be safe. The oil should be extracted from organically grown plants and lab-tested. It is also crucial to intend to use lavender oil with food.
- Avoid hearsay & read the usage information & instructions from the label of the product. Ask your dermatologist before use.
Lavender essential oils by Nourish Mantra
This hand wash with lavender essential oil makes the skin soft, supple and nourished. The oil in hand wash heals & moisturizes the skin from deep within. It thoroughly cleanses the hands while imparting a calming aroma.
A lotion with lavender essential oil moisturizes the hands that have become dry or irritated. The hand feels soft and smooth with long-lasting moisturization & fragrance.
What are the best carrier oils that go well with lavender essential oil?
Here are some best carrier oils according to your skin type:
- Oily & acne prone skin: jojoba oil & grapeseed oil
- Combination skin: jojoba oil
- Dry & mature skin: argan oil, rosehip oil & pomegranate oil
- Sensitive skin: Sweet almond oil, apricot oil, rosehip oil & jojoba oil
How to choose the best lavender essential oil?
- Look for the oil manufactured by cold pressing or steam distillation, as these are less likely to have been contaminated.
- Don't buy lavender oil that is packed in plastic bottles.
- Darkened glass bottles preserve the oil quality & ensure that it maintains its supreme properties & original scent.
- Check the label before buying the oil to make sure that the oil is pure & free of additives.
How often can I use lavender essential oil?
The application of lavender oil with other ingredients is dependent on the severity of the skin conditions.