Smelly Armpits- Causes, Remedies and Tips
Having a bad odor can greatly impact your confidence and how others perceive you. One area where odor can be particularly troublesome is the underarms. Armpit smells are often caused by bacteria that thrive in warm and moist environments, such as the underarm area. Smelling good is not only important for personal hygiene but also plays a vital role in how you present yourself to others. In this blog, you’ll explore what are the causes of underarm odor and discuss how to get rid of underarm smell?
What are the Causes of Bad Odor?
Understanding the reasons behind bad underarm odor is crucial before diving into remedies. Let's explore the contributing factors in more detail:
1. Sweat Breakdown
- Sweat itself is odorless. However, when bacteria on the skin's surface break down sweat, it produces an unpleasant odor.
- The apocrine glands, concentrated in the armpits and groin, release a thicker type of sweat that bacteria find particularly appealing, leading to a more pronounced odor.
2. Poor Personal Hygiene
- Insufficient personal hygiene allows the buildup of bacteria on the skin.
- Bacteria thrive in warm, moist environments, and without regular cleansing, their numbers multiply, contributing to the development of underarm odor.
3 Foods & Medicines
- Certain foods, such as garlic, onions, and spices, contain compounds that can be excreted through sweat, influencing body odor.
- Medications, like some antibiotics, can also affect the scent of sweat.
4. Hormonal Changes
- Hormonal fluctuations, such as those occurring during puberty or menstruation, can impact the type and amount of sweat produced.
- Changes in hormonal balance can create an environment conducive to bacterial growth and, consequently, body odor.
5. Armpit Hair
- Armpit hair can provide an ideal breeding ground for bacteria.
- The hair follicles trap sweat, and bacteria breaking down this trapped sweat contribute to the characteristic odor.
Now that we've delved deeper into the causes, let's move on to how to get rid of underarm odor?
Home Remedies to Get Rid of the Armpit Smell Naturally?Let's take a closer look at the natural ingredients and how they work to combat underarm odor:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar:
- ACV's antibacterial properties help eliminate odor-causing bacteria.
- Mix one part ACV with two parts water, apply with a cotton ball, and let it dry before rinsing.
- The natural acidity of lemon helps balance the skin's pH, creating an unfavorable environment for bacteria.
- Apply lemon juice directly to the underarms, let it dry, and then rinse.
- The acidic properties of tomatoes neutralize bacteria and eliminate odor.
- Apply tomato juice to the underarms, leave it for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse.
4. Milk & Baking Soda
- The combination acts as a gentle exfoliant, removing dead skin cells and bacteria.
- Mix equal parts milk and baking soda to form a paste, apply, leave for 15 minutes, and rinse.
- Tannins in tea control bacteria and reduce underarm odor.
- Apply a tea bag to the underarms or use a diluted tea solution.
6. Potato Juice
- Potatoes contain natural antibacterial properties.
- Apply potato juice to the underarms and leave for 15-20 minutes before rinsing.
7. Cucumber Juice
- Cucumber's refreshing properties soothe the skin and combat odor.
- Apply cucumber juice to the underarms, leave for 10-15 minutes, and then rinse.
How to Remove Smell from Underarms Permanently by Following Easy Tips?
For a more permanent solution, adopt these tips into your routine:1. Wear Comfortable Clothes
- Choose breathable fabrics to promote airflow and reduce sweating.
2. Remove Armpit Hair
- Consider hair removal methods for a more long-term solution to underarm odor.
3. Wear Clean Clothes
- Change clothes regularly to minimize bacterial growth and keep your underarms fresh.
4. Avoid Pungent Foods:
- Certain foods, like garlic and onions, can contribute to body odor. Limit their consumption.
5. Use Antibacterial Soaps
- Incorporate antibacterial soaps into your shower routine to combat odor-causing bacteria.
- Regular exfoliation removes dead skin cells, reducing the surface for bacteria to multiply.
- Keep your skin healthy and hydrated to prevent irritation and bacterial growth.
- Drinking plenty of water helps flush out toxins, reducing the intensity of body odor.
9. Use a Topical Antiperspirant
- Topical antiperspirants control sweat production, minimizing the conditions for bacterial growth.
By understanding the causes and incorporating these natural remedies and tips into your routine, you can confidently bid farewell to unwanted underarm odor.
How to get rid of smelly underarms with Nourish Mantra’s Natural Skincare Products?
Nourish Mantra offers natural skincare products that are free from harsh chemicals and formulated with nourishing ingredients. The following products are effective in combating underarm odor and keeping your skin fresh:
Urban Raja Hair Removal Foam
Upgrade your grooming game with Nourish Mantra's Hair Removal Foam. This specially crafted foam swiftly clears away unwanted hair while keeping your skin moisturized and velvety. Enriched with shea butter and glycerin, it ensures long-lasting results and even skin tone. Say goodbye to constant touch-ups and enjoy smooth, hair-free skin effortlessly.
Turmeric & Citrus Handmade Bathing Bar Soap
Formulated with powerful Ayurvedic ingredients, Turmeric & Citrus Handmade Bathing Bar Soap gently cleanses your skin while preventing breakouts and infections. Turmeric, a renowned antioxidant and antibacterial agent, combined with gram flour, helps lighten blemishes and scars. Enriched with coconut oil and tea tree oil, this bathing bar leaves your underarm skin feeling soft and supple.
Cardamom & Mint Handmade Bathing Bar Soap
Pamper your underarm skin with Nourish Mantra's Cardamom & Mint Bathing Bar. With the goodness of real cardamom pods, mint, and ginger root oil, this soap prevents breakouts and clears blemishes. Enriched with nourishing ingredients like castor oil, sweet almond oil, vitamin E, and shea butter, it leaves your skin feeling refreshed and supple.
Underarm odor can be embarrassing, but with the right care and natural remedies, it can be effectively managed. By practicing good hygiene, using natural ingredients, and incorporating suitable skincare products like Nourish Mantra's offerings, you can confidently bid farewell to smelly underarms and embrace freshness every day.
1. Does Removing Armpit Hair Decrease Body Odor?
Yes, removing armpit hair can reduce body odor as it eliminates the surface area where bacteria can thrive.
2. Can Certain Foods Cause Bad Underarm Odor?
Yes, certain foods like onions and garlic can contribute to body odor when metabolized by the body.
3. Do Diseases Cause Bad Odor in Underarms?
Certain medical conditions can cause abnormal body odors. If you notice persistent or unusual smells, it is advisable to consult a healthcare professional.
4. Does Underarm Hair Cause Bad Odor?
Underarm hair can trap sweat and bacteria, leading to an increased chance of odor development. Removing or reducing hair can help manage odor.
5. Can Consuming Coffee Lead to Underarm Odor?
Coffee itself does not directly cause underarm odor. However, excessive consumption of coffee can lead to increased sweating, which may contribute to odor.
6. Is it Possible to Remove Body Hair Permanently?
While there are methods to reduce hair growth, complete and permanent removal of body hair may require more specialized procedures such as laser hair removal.