Maskne is a real thing
With a pandemic underway, face masks have now become an essential part of our everyday lives. Although the news on upcoming vaccines has been promising, health experts agree that masks are here to stay, for a while.
Face masks are the “new normal,” and undeniably so. Multiple studies suggest that wearing a face mask helps contain the droplets expelled from the wearer and considerably reduces virus transmission in the community.
With face masks comes a new problem – Maskne. Maskne or Acne mechania has been around for a while for medical professionals, but with COVID-19, it has become a common problem. In this condition, skin breakouts occur on the lower part of the face, where the mask rests. So, if you’re suffering from pimples, rashes, and bumps, don’t worry; you’re not the only one. Face masks cause you to perspire, which makes your skin a breeding ground for bacteria. Your skin also produces more oil or sebum, leading to clogged pores and a pimple breakout or chin breakout.
Considering the current scenario, not wearing a mask is not an option, but here are a few things you can try to minimize your risk of developing maskne.
- Wear a clean and breathable mask. A cotton mask can do wonders and even make you sweat less. If you’re wearing a fabric mask, make sure you wash it after every use to avoid skin breakouts. When in safe spaces, take off your mask and let your skin breathe.
- Wash your face regularly. With masks on every time we step out, regular skincare is vital. Use a gentle cleanser and pat dry with a towel. Our Ratrani Moroccan Lava Clay Cleanser is an excellent option as it absorbs all the excess oil, helps remove pollution particles and impurities. The liquorice extracts and vitamin in this clay cleanser nourishes your skin deeply, eliminating reasons for acne.
- Take a break from makeup. Beauty products like foundation and concealer block your pores and will only end up making your acne breakout worse.
- Use a facial oil to nourish your skin. Face oils not only help seal the moisture but also helps soothe rashes. Packed with antioxidants and vitamins, our Vedic Elixir 8-in-1 Rejuvenating Facial Oil is suitable for all skin types and hydrates and delivers exceptional radiance to the skin, giving your skin no reason for acne.
- Wash your hands before touching your face. Touching your face with dirty hands is one of the most common causes of acne. Dermatologists often talk about how you should avoid touching your face at all, but if you really have to, make sure your hands are clean. Another reason for chin breakout is a dirty phone, so it’s always a good idea to wipe your screen down now and then.
Lifestyle habits could also trigger acne. The association between stress and acne is well-known. With a pandemic underway, it is easier said than done, but do try to minimize the stress levels in your life. Make sure to include foods good for acne like leafy greens, carrots, and bell peppers in your diet to counter a skin breakout.
Stay fresh inside and out to stay away from maskne!