PCOS and acne: Informed approach towards skincare
PCOS is one of the major causes of fat gain, hair loss, and acne in women. If you are aware of it and have checked with your gyno, you must know that the only solution to reduce PCOS is to live a healthy and balanced lifestyle. We know it’s a long process that requires a lot of patience and effort. You can learn all about PCOS and natural skincare in our journal. And believe us, it takes more than just finding a natural face cleanser online.
Clinical and synthetic solutions may promise to cure PCOS acne, but there’s a catch. Acne will reappear if you don’t work on reducing your PCOS. We want you to understand a transparent, more effective, and long-lasting approach. After trying multiple skincare formulas, we experienced that current skin concerns need innovative solutions- a cleaner and safer mix of ancient and modern recipes.
Before starting with any natural face care DIYs, know that certain raw foods are risky.
- Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar may be too acidic and cause burning.
- Baking soda is extremely harsh and drying.
- Sugar cubes can cause cuts and scratches.
- Blood purifying drinks may not soothe acne.
Acne is a skin condition that comes in different forms and stages. And PCOS acne can take stubborn forms around your menses dates.
So here is a small effort from our side to help you find a perfect blend according to your acne type.
Whiteheads: These are mild acne formed on the outer layer of the skin. They are white-coloured closed pores filled with dead skin cells, oil, and bacteria. You may not see redness or feel any pain. They can be uprooted in a few days with natural skincare.
What to use?
- Green Tea + Tea tree Oil + Aloe Vera + AHAs.
- Green Tea for deep cleansing.
- Tea Tree oil for removing acne-causing bacteria.
- Aloe Vera for healing and soothing effects.
- AHAs purify the skin’s outer layer and remove dead skin cells. cells. (AHA = Alpha Hydroxy acid-like Glycolic acid, found in Papaya fruit and Sugarcane extracts.)
Use a natural face wash for glowing skin infused with all these ingredients to reduce whiteheads.
Never use rough-textured or harsh synthetics on acne.
Blackheads: These pores are open and are formed when skin oil mixes with the air. This causes oxidation, resulting in those dark-coloured pores.
What to use?
- Multani Mitti + Moroccan Lava + Activated Charcoal
- Cucumber + Pudina (Mint) + BHAs
- Multani Mitti (Fuller’s Earth) and Moroccan Lava Clay soak excess oil and purify clogged pores.
- Activated Charcoal reaches deeper into the skin to uproot stubborn and strong impurities.
- Cucumber: A highly hydrating, purifying, and refreshing fruit helps to cleanse the skin without drying it.
- Mint: Helps soothe the skin and balance fluids.
- BHAs: Exfoliating organic compounds to break down impurities, promoting a more vital cleanse. (BHA = Beta Hydroxy acids like Salicylic acid found in Tomatoes and Almonds.)
While buying a natural face cleanser online, always focus on these formulas to get rid of stubborn blackheads. Avoid scrubbing with harsh face care products.
Non-inflammatory and minor acne can be reduced within a week.
Papules: Moderate pink-coloured acne with no opening. These are small bumps, mostly appearing in clusters. Do not press over them, as it would push the impurities deeper into the skin.
Pimples/Pustules: When filled with pus, papules convert to pustules. These are painful red bumps with yellow openings filled with stronger and deeper impurities, dead skin cells, and oil.
What to use?
All the above ingredients + Exotic Indian herbs
- Neem: Globally known as Indian Lilac, our traditional Neem tree is not just a holy ingredient. It is a prominent medicinal herb used by our ancestors to treat burns, cuts, and heal wounds.
- Tulsi: The favourite culinary delight of Indian families does a lot more than flavouring our Tea. Famous as Holy Basil, it is a highly purifying herb for your skin. It has remarkable soothing and healing reactions.
Such Indian herbs have antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties, helping to kill acne-causing bacteria and fungus. They are beneficial to treat similar microbial infections on the skin.
Use an exotic herbal mud mask or a natural face wash for glowing skin and minimized pimples.
Do not pop your acne, ever! It would worsen your skin’s condition.
Moderately inflamed acne can take a few weeks to diminish.
Cystic acne: One of the most severe acne, it’s caused when there’s an infection in the roots of your pimples. It’s filled with microbes, excess oil and dead skin cells. It looks like a red boil and can be excruciating.
Nodules: Nodules are tough bumps. Not filled with pus, these are usually skin-coloured. These are the most severe acne rooted firmly in the roots of our skin.
What to use?
All the above ingredients may be helpful. But severe acne is ideally handled with a mix of oral medicines, antiseptics and natural skincare routine. It may take a few months to notice visible reduction.
Always consult your dermatologist and do a patch test before applying anything.
So, your ideal natural skincare routine looks like this:
- Start your day with a natural face cleanser filled with ingredients targeting your acne stage.
- Apply a fruit-based natural face serum that is designed specially to treat acne.
- Guard your skin with a lightweight moisturizing lotion having SPF 15 and above.
- Wash away the entire day’s build-up with an exfoliating natural skin cleanser based on acne-fighting ingredients.
- Use the same serum at night.
- End your day with a lightweight night cream having regenerating and healing ingredients.
Once a week, use a purifying and soothing natural mud mask for a face detox.
The ancient Indian regions discovered the extraordinary benefits of their native herbs and formulated multiple skincare solutions using their anti-bacterial, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties. Along with necessary lifestyle changes, it is best to keep your face clean, nourished and irritation-free.